I've read 23 out of 249 pages.

Destruction: The December People, Book One - Sharon Bayliss

Sometimes the synopsis of the book can really ruin things. Example:

"David Vandergraff wants to be a good man. He goes to church every Sunday, keeps his lawn trim and green, and loves his wife and kids more than anything. Unfortunately, being a dark wizard isn’t a choice"

Interesting, Unfortunately, David doesn't realize he's a dark wizard, so it's kind of annoying for me to know when he doesn't know.

"Eleven years ago, David’s secret second family went missing. When his two lost children are finally found, he learns they suffered years of unthinkable abuse. Ready to make things right, David brings the kids home even though it could mean losing the wife he can’t imagine living without."

All good, no complaints.

"Keeping his life together becomes harder when the new children claim to be dark wizards. David believes they use this fantasy to cope with their trauma. Until, David’s wife admits a secret of her own—she is a dark wizard too, as is David, and all of their children. "

Okay seriously, stop telling me everyone's secrets until I've read the book. So now I am annoyed that David, the dark wizard who doesn't know it, is thinking about his kids coping fantasies about being wizards....except I know they're real.

"Now, David must parent two hurting children from a dark world he doesn’t understand and keep his family from falling apart. All while dealing with the realization that everyone he loves, including himself, may be evil."

Le sigh.

If I wrote this blurb, I would do something like this:

"David Vandergraff wants to be a good man. He goes to church every Sunday, keeps his lawn trim and green, and loves his wife and kids more than anything. Eleven years ago, David’s secret second family went missing. When his two lost children are finally found, he learns they suffered years of unthinkable abuse. Ready to make things right, David brings the kids home even though it could mean losing the wife he can’t imagine living without.

Keeping his life together becomes harder when the new children claim to be dark wizards. David believes they use this fantasy to cope with their trauma. But, David isn't the only one who had secrets."