Stefani140

Written Among The Stars

I love to read, I love to write, and I love to talk about all things that are the written word.

The Last Wish : Introducing the Witcher
Andrzej Sapkowski, Danusia Stok
A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones / A Clash of Kings / A Storm of Swords / A Feast for Crows
George R.R. Martin
Progress: 139/834 pages
The Mammoth Book of Zombie Apocalypse! - Stephen Jones I saw this book on the shelf and my first thought was, neat cover! This was followed immediately with my second thought of, good Lord what a cheesy and pathetic name! I figured that I would give it a chance anyway since this appeared to be an anthology. Which I guess it is...kind of, but not really. Instead of multiple short stories about a zombie apocalypse its a bunch of short vignettes about different aspects of the same story, by different authors. I know, I know what you're thinking, "I swear that sounds really familiar!" And you are correct, and it's familiar because that's exactly the idea behind the book World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. I can't help but feel this ripped off that idea since World War Z was published in 2006 and this was published in 2010. Luckily for Max Brooks, he did a hell of a lot better job than this book did.Even though all of these bits and pieces were written by different people, they were all equally as bland. The idea was that these little short stories were supposed to interweave together and tell the overall story...but it didn't. It was boring,the characters presented irritated me and it was painfully predictable. In every single vignette, the characters eventually die by zombie. Inventive huh?Also, I had no idea how long all of this was supposed to have taken place in. On one page we're in May, then a few bits later we were in June, then later we were back in May. It was confusing. Add to that, there are no page numbers in this book so I couldn't even reference things to figure out a timeline because I had no idea where it was in that 400 something pages.Some of this seemed so far out of reality that I had a hard time suspending my belief quite that far. For example, your whole family just died and turned into zombies, and you are holed up in a bunker with other survivors. And you write in your diary and bitch about how unfair it is that you can't look out the window? Really? That's what's on your mind after seeing your mother eating your father's face? And the authors present several different ways to thwart zombies either by making you an unpleasant meal and so you don't get attacked or to stop someone from becoming a zombie. Yet these things are largely ignored and only seen once or twice in the whole book and never explored or anything else. And in several cases these characters told other people the solution...yet then it just disappears! So frustrating.By the time I got to the end I just didn't care anymore. I was so bored with this book that the only reason I was still reading was so that I could get to the end and mark it as read. I also had no idea what the progression of the zombies was. Yes we know about England, we knew about New York, and we knew about Australia. But from the limited information we had it seemed liked humans were winning the battle against zombie. And then we get to the end and.....The President of the United States and the Queen of England are all zombies and the zombies won. And somehow zombies speak now even though that had only been mentioned in a total of one sentence as a speculation,but now its fact.. That just made me want to scream! An ending that comes out of nowhere because nothing in it was addressed elsewhere in the book. Overall the best thing about this book, when it was over.